10 Jan Spirituality: Reishi and meditation
Spiritual history of Lingzhi
Reishi, also known as Lingzhi meaning, mushroom of immortality, has been a well-treasured fungus for thousands of years, especially in Asian cultures, making it one of the oldest and most valued herbs, recognized for its therapeutical and spiritual benefits.
While Reishi was acknowledged as being particularly helpful for sick and unwell folk in ancient Chinese medical texts, it was perhaps better known as belonging to a particular class of medicines known as ‘tonic herbs.’ According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Reishi is deemed to be one of the most sacred tonic herbs that one could use.
More Reishi benefits
It is believed that Reishi holds the power to nourish and protect one’s spirit because of its healing effect on the Shen, one of the three treasures in Chinese Medicine, Shen or ”spirit” is the emotional-mental-spiritual power in the human being. The other two are Jing and Chi. Jing or “essence” is the creative power behind the physical body, and Chi or “vital force” is the dynamic energy that flows through the body, and is connected to the breath. Reishi nourishes all three treasures, but its effect on the spirit (Shen) is profound.
The ancient Taoists refer to Shen as the most enlightened level that is in direct contact with the universe, Shen houses the heart space.
It induces the ability to attain meditative states and encourage spiritual awareness. Therefore it was often used before going into a meditation to increase and build will power and expand inner consciousness.
Reishi as adaptogen
The adaptogenic qualities in Reishi also play a significant role in achieving a more peaceful and balanced state of being. It can improve the body’s ability to cope with stress, anxiety, and fatigue. Reishi mushrooms, like most adaptogenic herbs, also support and balances the endocrine and hormonal systems in the body, which are likely related to its spiritually activating properties. Reishi helps you to calm down and be in the now, being present in the moment is one of the most powerful things to do when looking for a more harmonious relationship with ourselves and others and live an abundant life.
Reishi adaptogen recipe
Relaxing Reishi meditation
Try out the meditation below in combination with your Reishi elixir.
1. Drink your Reishi elixir before going into the meditation. Then sit in a comfortable position on a cushion or lie comfortably on the floor. Try to relax completely, from the top of your head to the tips of your toes. Feel each part of your body relax as you slowly move your attention down your head end at the toes. Give everybody body part some attention, till you reach your toes.
2. Breathe slowly and deeply through your nose, the tip of your tongue resting on the top palate of your mouth. As you breathe in, breathe in bright light or healing chi. Let it fill your entire body, going deep within your body and mind, flowing into all the dark and pain-filled areas of your body and mind.
3. As you breathe out, allow all the pain, sickness, or stress to leave your body, like a dark smoke or mist.
4. With your inner eye, watch that mist fade off into the air.
5. Maintain your meditation breathing; slow and deep. Keep allowing your body to fill with healing, relaxing light, and let all the pain, disease, sorrow, and stress leave you. Do this for ten to twenty minutes — or longer, if need be.
6. When thoughts come up, allow them to be there, try to observe them as if you are viewing them from a distance, they are just passing through, and you don’t have to identify with them any longer.
7. When you feel done, rub your palms together thirty-six times, and then put your hands over your heart, express your gratitude. Then open your eyes and re-enter the world around you, renewed and relaxed.
Order your Reishi powder